When things seem to be going all wrong, stop and affirm your trust in Me. Calmly bring these matters to Me, and leave them in my capable hands. then, simply do the next thing. Stay in touch with Me through thankful, trusting prayers, resting in My sovereign control. Rejoice in Me – exult in the God of your salvation! As you trust in Me, I make your feet like the feet of a deer. I enable you to walk and make progress upon your high places of trouble, suffering, or responsibility.
Sarah Young – Jesus Calling
This is the devotional from the day after I came down with an inner ear infection that set my world spinning – literally.
Within a four-hour window I went from feeling totally fine to needing my husband’s assistance to walk. Although not serious, this virus knocked my world off-balance. Every time I tried to stand it felt like the walls were caving in. Unable to provide child care, my sickness started a ripple that effected other families that were depending on me. Guilty feelings sprouted. I hate letting people down.
It felt impossible to simply ‘do the next thing’ when the floor was rushing up to meet my face every time I sat upright. But as I focused on God and what He can accomplish in this time, I found more and more reasons to give thanks.
- My Dad, sister, and niece made the three-hour drive to my house in St Catharines and back to Chatham just to drop off my mom..
- My Mom is here this week helping with the kids, housework, and general day-to-day duties. Her presence allows me to rest as much as possible.
- My daughter took the news we had to postpone her birthday plans in stride. Not one compliant.
- A meal offer from a friend eased the load on my mom.
- My friends understood when I cancelled commitments.
- In the midst of a bible study on Mary and Martha God gave my inner Martha plenty of reasons to rest and my inner Mary plenty of reasons to focus on God.
I’m bursting with thankful and trusting prayers. God is in control. Even in this.