During Advent we prepare for Christmas and prepare our hearts to celebrate the birth of Jesus who came to save us from our sins. One of the ways our family prepares for Christmas is using an Advent calendar made from socks. I’ve seen friends do a similar idea, but instead of socks they have their children open a gift bag or an envelope each day.
Twelve socks contain treats for the kids and twelve socks contain these ideas below.
- Decorate our plain colored Christmas jammies with fabric paint. I made handprint Reindeer jammies with my kids and found the idea here.
- Make homemade Christmas cards for the neighbors and deliver them.
- Bake Christmas cookies.
- Buy a Gift of Compassion from Compassion Canada’s gift catalog.
- Make sugar cone Christmas trees. (You have to scroll down the page to see the cone trees. On your way to the picture you’ll find lots of other great Christmas ideas.)
- Decorate the family Christmas tree and listen to Christmas music.
- Deliver Christmas cookies to neighbors.
- Buy a Christmas gift for a child on the Christmas Wish Tree.
- Watch a holiday movie as a family.
- Donate gently used toys to the Goodwill to help someone else shopping on a budget.
- Decide as a family on a secret act of kindness we can perform for someone else. Then do it.
- Make our teacher’s Christmas gifts complete with handmade cards that tell them why they are great teachers.